My Connecticut Fall Bucket List – 2016 Edition
As I type this on a Saturday Morning at Starbucks, I think that maybe, possibly Fall has begun.
It’s a wonderful time of year (and my second favorite season)!! The weather cools down slightly and I can finally break out my favorite corduroy pants that I have been itching to wear.
In years past, I would still be in the throws of marathon training BUT since I am done (at least for now) with marathon training for the near future, I am actually going to fully enjoy coming weeks.
So, taking a page from Kate from Connecticut (and in all honestly my entire Pinterest Feed at this point) – I have decided to create my own “Connecticut Fall Bucket List”.
My hope is to include some things 1) I might not have done in many years and/or 2) have wanted to but for one reason or another have not and 3) still stay active.
I will also be sharing my journey to keep me accountable, so without further ado here is my Connecticut Fall Bucket list.
- Run the Hartford Half Marathon on October 8, 2016 – this one is actually a no brainer. I am already scheduled to run this race. It’s one of my favorites and literally 10 minutes from my doorstep. I missed seeing a lot of running friends this summer so I plan on taking advantage of it in 2 weeks.
- Take a Fall Foliage Hike – Connecticut has a great trail system, so once the weather cools I plan on taking a hike at Sleepy Giant State Park or climb the Hublein Tower in Simsbury.
- Feel the Crisp Autumn Air While Running – After such atrocious running conditions this summer, I am looking forward to wearing a LIGHT long sleeve shirt and capri pants for my morning run.
- S’Mores Around the Fire Pit – Although Mark and I have had several fires over the past couple of weekend, they were not accompanied by S’Mores. This must and will change in the coming weeks.
- Drink A Seasonal Beer (or Two) – Mark really loves this time of year as he is a big Oktoberfest fan. I am coming around to it as well, especially since there are so many great Connecticut breweries close to home. I love these brews because it’s the last stop before brewers start brewing heavy winter beers.
- Make a Dessert Using Connecticut Apples – I am volunteering Mark for this one. He makes a mean (in a good way) Apple Bake and I look forward to it every fall. Apples, Almond milk, Craisins, and a dash of flour – it’s simple, healthy, and delicious.
- Attend An Outside Scary Movie Night – This one is actually on my calendar. I can’t wait, especially since our friends have a huge back yard that can get a bit creepy once the sun goes down. I have missed the last two that they held because of the New York City Marathon, so I am happy I don’t have to miss it this year.
- Bake Pumpkin Bread – I am not sure what specific recipe I will be using so feel free to leave a comment with any suggestions.
- Dress up for Halloween – This one is still up in the air. For years Mark and I hosted a party but in recent years that has shifted to a Christmas Party. Anyone know of a good party in the Hartford area- let me know.
- RACE the Manchester Road Race – For locals who just read that, I know, I am probably a bit crazy BUT that is where my focus is taking me for the next couple of weeks. The race is 4.748 miles and I am hoping to move from the U38 group to U35. It’s going to take some work but I am up for the challenge.
- Attend a Football Game – It can be College, Local, or Professional but there is nothing like football on a Sunny Saturday Morning in the fall.
- Try Some New Restaurants – This item is not specific to Connecticut but this is a Running AND Food blog – my food has been a bit boring the weeks leading up to the marathon – time to shake things up.
So there you have it – my Connecticut Fall Bucket List for 2016. Hope you will check back from time to time to see how I am doing and possibly give yourself ideas of how you can make the most of this Fall season.