Marine Corps Marathon Training – Week 8

Marathon Training

Marathon Training rolls on!

After week where my mileage topped 48.3 – this past week was on the lower side (40.8 for week).  I kind of wish that the mileage was a bit higher because the weather was so glorious! I had almost forgotten what it was like to run in capri’s and a short sleeve shirt without sweating to death.  I even had to add a jacket when I walked Harley on Friday morning.

This past week also helped build my confidence a little in terms of my pacing.  In a summer where I have struggled to run comfortable and easy, I was able to get my average pace below 9 minute miles.  I felt like I was flying this morning and re-confirmed that even in the heat I am gaining fitness.

Unfortunately the 3H’s are back on tap for this week – Yuck!!  Not looking forward to the upcoming conditions to say the least.

In other news – my GI issues continue and it’s definitely not been fun.  So far, of my tests have come back negative which is very frustrating. BUT I met with a GI doctor this past week and explained my situation.  She wants me to try a low FODMAP diet to see if I have any food sensitivities and also get a colonoscopy.

I told her I would try the low FODMAP diet (which is not a long term solution thank god) but I really need to get to the bottom (HA).  It’s been an eye opener to say the least – I can’t believe how many food items contain wheat, enriched wheat or some type of sweetener.  Even my beloved garlic, onion, mushrooms, peaches, apples, and beans (to name a few) are off the menu for the time being.

I have talked to other runners and I know I am not alone in this struggle but I will say it again – it’s frustrating to have such a stomach of steel for years only to be knocked down by my gut.

I will keep everyone up to date as I know more and hopefully get some answers soon.

So without further ado – the 8th week of my Marine Corps Marathon training log

Weekly Marathon Training Log

Monday – 6.04 Easy

I slept in this morning – so it was an after work run for me.  Does anyone else besides me HATE running after work. I always feel so clunky and heavy and it usually takes me a couple of miles before I get “in the groove”.  These runs are also the “I did not want to run but glad I did ones.”

Tuesday – 6.5 miles Easy

Glorious cool weather the first run with my headlamp – that means Fall is right around the corner

Wednesday – Quality Session (2m warm up; 2x5min at 8:06;1min walk recovery; 3×3 minutes at 7:28; 2 minute walk recovery; 4x1minute at 7:04; 1 minute walk recovery)

I tend to love this “quick” bursts of speed workouts

Thursday – 5 miles

With Mark out of town for the next couple of days – 5 miles is my limit in the morning.  Giving me enough time to run, run back home, walk Harley and make it to work on time.

Chill-axing on the Patio

Friday – 5 miles

It really felt like fall this morning and I actually debated wearing long sleeves on my run.  If the weather could only be like that ALL YEAR LONG.

I also took advantage of tax free week and bought – SOCKS.  Don’t worry I had a method to my madness – replacing some that were on their way out.


Saturday –OFF

This worked out great – I had a lot of running around to do but I made time to head to the dog park with Harley in the morning for a tiring (for him) game of fetch.

Sunday – Wethersfield 10k (2 mile warm up; 10k; 2ish mile cool down)

Wethersfield 10k Start Line

Coach decided to use the Wethersfield 10k to test my pacing and speed – it was a perfect race  for this “test” because it’s a flat course. Also good for me because when I am not at the track I have a 2 mile loop through Old Wethersfield that I use for some of my quality workouts.

The plan was to not go out too fast (not a problem because my hami was starting to act up again during Friday’s run.  And come in under 50 minutes. I don’t know about you but when I have a niggle (what I call a start of an “injury”) I tend to hyper focus on that.  Even though my hami was taped by Mark before the race – I was concerned it would start to bother me. My other concern – my gut – would I be able to run the whole race without having to “run” to the port a potty.

I am happy to report – on both counts – that I did well.  The oatmeal that I had before stayed put and my hami for the most part was just a nagging part of the run.  I felt great endurance wise and was it not for the hamstring I probably could have done some more.

Total time was an average of 8:04 which would have been faster if I did not grab some water at the last water stop.

I also appreciated that the rest of the family came out and supported me – especially since Mark was literally going on a limited amount of sleep.  Harley was in his element, helping me with my warm-up run (I wish I would have gotten a picture and licking all the salt off my legs at the end of the race.

Family Photo

I also told Coach that I think that I this is the last “race” until the Hartford Half – I want to spend this month developing and honing in on my marathon pacing.

So until then – it’s all about development AND getting my gut in order.

Onward we go!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *