Washing Workout Clothes – 6 Tips
2. DON’T use fabric softener. I don’t use fabric softener on any of my clothes, but if you do, leave it out in your workout wash. Fabric softener works by coating the clothing, and this coating can trap in those dirty smells you are trying to get rid of. Also, this coating can build up over time and ruin the materials.
3. Reverse, Reverse. Turn all your workout clothes inside out before throwing them in the washer. This will help protect the color, and most of the sweat and stench is on the inside of the clothing anyways.
4. Soak it. If odor is a huge issue for you, try soaking your gear in cold water and ½ a cup of vinegar before washing. This helps eliminate those bad odors, so you don’t have to overload on the detergent.
5. Cold water. Always wash your items in cold water. This is going to prevent shrinkage and the break down of materials.
6. Fresh air. ALWAYS air-dry your workout clothes. Most places are going to tell you just to use low heat and no dryer sheets, but if you really want to prevent against pilling, air-drying is your only safe bet.